There is a need for dentists to conduct routine oral cancer screening of each patient and to counsel patients with high-risk habits, in order to improve the prognosis of the disease.
The fund for this research was provided by a grant from the Regional Centre for Oral Health Research and Training Initiatives (RCORTI) for Africa, Jos, Nigeria. Our sincere appreciation goes to the Management, the Heads of the Histopathology and Medical Records Departments and the Cancer Registry Manager of the Jos University Teaching Hospital for their approval and kind contributions in the retrieval of the required data.
- Lambert R, Hainaut P, Parkin DM. Premalignant lesions of the esophagogastric mucosa. Semin Oncol 2004; 31(4):498-512.
- Patton LL, Phelon JA, Ramos-Gomez FJ, Nittayananta W, Shiboski CH, Mbuguye TL. Prevalence and classification of HIV-related oral lesions. Oral Diseases 2002; 8(suppl.2): 98-109.
- Johnson NW. What causes oral cancer? In: Johnson NW (ed). Oral Cancer. Pp.10-14. London: FDI World dental Press Ltd, 1999.
- Batsakis JG. Clinical pathology of oral cancer. In: Shah JP, Johnson NW, Batsakis JG, eds. Oral Cancer. Pp. 77-129. London :Martin Dunitz Publication, 2003.
- Odukoya O, Roberts T, Arole G. A cytologic study of the effect of kolanut on the keratinization of the palatal mucosa of Nigerian smokers. Afr Dent J 1990; 4:1-5.
- Daramola JO, Ajagbe HA, Oluwasanmi JO (1979). Pattern of Oral cancer in a Nigerian Population. Br J Oral Surg 1979; 17: 123-128.
- Adekeye EO, Asamoa E, Cohen B. Intra-oral carcinoma in Nigeria: a review of 137 cases. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 1985; 76: 180-182.
- Idigbe EO, Ibrahim MM, Ubuane TA, Onwujekwe DI, Otoh I, Adedoyin JA (eds). HIV/AIDS in Nigeria: Survey of Health and Laboratory facilities: 1989-1999. 1st Edition. Lagos: NIMR, 2000.
- Wight R. BAHNO National Minimum and Advisory Head and Neck Data Sets. Version 1.0. London:1999.
- Fritz A, Percy C, Jack A, Shanmugaratnam K, Sobin L, Parkin DM, Whelan S eds. International Classification of Diseases for Oncology. 3rd Edition. Geneva: 2000.
- Bhatia PL. Head and neck cancer in Plateau State of Nigeria. WAJM 1990; 9: 304-310.
- Otoh EC, Ajike SA, Olasoji HO, Mandong BM, Johnson NW, Danfillo IS. Oral Cancers in Northern Nigeria. (Unpublished manuscript).
- Otoh EC, Johnson NW, Danfillo IS, Adeleke OA, Olasoji HO. Primary head and neck cancers in North Eastern Nigeria. WAJM (Accepted for publication on 7th June 2004).
- Enwonwu CO, Meeks VI. Bionutrition and Oral cancer in humans. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 1995; 6(1): 5-17.
- Odunfa SA. Cereal fermentation in African Countries. In: Haard NF, Odunfa SA, Lee C, Quintero-Ramirez R, Warcher-Radarte C. (eds). Fermented Cereals: A Global Perspective. FAO Agricultural Services Bulletin No.138. 1990.